Here are just some of the life skills you learn when bringing up kids alone…
- How to keep a mental checklist of everything we need to do for the next month. To do lists? Who has time to write those?
- How to hold an in-depth discussion about Pokemon/Frozen while secretly planning tonight’s dinner
- Coloured socks are your foe… unless you enjoy trying to reunite long-lost sock twins.
- Batch cooking is a lifeline. Saves time and money – what’s not to love?
- How to stand up for ourselves. We rely on no.1 – so best not mess with us!
- Shame-free shortcuts – whether it’s ironing just the collars on shirts, or piling mess in cupboards before our guests show up – we know how to look like we’ve got things under control.
- How to do full face make-up in 30 seconds flat.
- How to carry a shopping bag on every finger. Less about strength, more about determination. We’re not going back out to the car again!
- How to play both Good Cop and Bad Cop when it comes to discipline.
- Housework? Mañana! We’d rather spend time with our little ones today.
- How to whizz around a supermarket like a Formula One racer.
- Whatever life throws at you, keep on going.
Agree? What would you add to the list?! I’d love to see your comments below!
Have you seen my epic Single Parent Survivial Guide? (Yes, that’s right, ‘epic’ – I’m using self-promotional bloggy marketing speak now).